Saturday, 8 December 2012

Co-op in Otley

This is one of many attractive old buildings in Otley It is now the Westgate Arcade, formerly the Leeds Industrial Co-operative Society Limited.
The Leeds Industrial Co-operative Society (Leeds Co-op) was a British independent co-operative society based in Leeds, West Yorkshire, which merged with United Co-operatives in 2007.
Leeds Co-op was founded in 1847 as a Co-operative Flour Mill Society, workers at Benyon & Co's flax spinning mill raising funds through instalments to acquire some land. By the end of the year it was selling flour cheaply to its members and the price of flour in the Borough of Leeds was lowered considerably

No comments:

Post a Comment