This winding hole on the Leeds Liverpool Canal at Shipley is all that is left of the Bradford Canal.
The canal was 3.5-miles long and ran into the centre of Bradford. It opened in 1774, and was closed in 1866, when it was declared to be a public health hazard. Four years later it reopened with a better water supply, and closed for the second time in 1922. It was subsequently filled in, although consideration has been given to restoring it.