Crown Point BridgeWith the rapid development of the city in the 1820's, and increasing traffic using Leeds Bridge, there was a need for another crossing over the River Aire at the eastern end of the town. In 1840 an Act of Parliament was obtained which allowed the building of a bridge at Crown Point. The architects were George Leather & Son. Of Leeds, who designed a single span bridge, 120ft wide, made of cast iron, with an ornate fretted iron parapet. The iron castings were made by Booth & Co. at the Park iron works in Sheffield, and the stonework was by James Bray of Leeds. The bridge was opened in 1842, and cost £36,000 to build. Crown Point Bridge was originally a toll bridge, but the toll was abolished in 1868. The bridge was widened in 1994.