The BALTIC site, on the South bank of the river Tyne was occupied from 1858 until 1889/90 by The Gateshead Iron Works famous for their work on the High Level Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne.
The site lay derelict until foundation work for the Baltic Flour Mills began in the late 1930s. The Baltic Flour Mills was built for Joseph Rank Limited beside the River Tyne in Gateshead in 1950. It was dual purpose factory for the production of flour and animal feed.
Hundreds of people were employed there until it closed in November 1982
The silo building is the only remaining part of the Baltic factory.
The building was converted into an Art Gallery and the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art opened on Saturday 13 July 2002.