The Central Tramway Company Scarborough Limited was created and registered in 1880.
The lift was designed for steam operation, this was housed away from the top station. The driver has no view of the cars so used marks on the rope to indicate car positions.
The track is 71 m long on a 1 in 2 gradient. The track is 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge. The funicular is operated by two cars.
In 1910 this was converted to electric drive. In 1932 the cars were replaced and the motor placed under the top station. Control was from a driving position at the top of the station with full view of the cars. For emergency use each car is fitted with a screw on and wedge safety brake which operates on a safety rail down the centre of each track and the rail also carries the rollers for the support of the cables.
The Central Tramway Company Scarborough Limited still operates in its original corporate form
The tramway is seen here being refurbished before it reopens next May when it will operate until October